Clarinet & Bassoon Teaching - Jon and Linda Julian
Instrumental Music Study gives students the opportunity to understand, appreciate, and participate in music and music-making. In addition to those worthwhile intrinsic values, studying a musical instrument has been shown to increase brain growth in children,
and develops concentration, multi-tasking ability, and manual dexterity.
The process of learning instrumental skills builds
self-discipline, analysis and problem-solving skills, and persistence.
Playing in ensembles teaches students how to blend their skills and ideas into a group effort to achieve a common goal.
Developing any skill builds self-confidence and a sense of achievement.
Students heading to college can gain an immediate sense of belonging and become involved in constructive activity when they join one of the school's musical ensembles. If a student is skillful and their instrument is needed,
there may be scholarship money available to them in exchange for their participation.
Those who decide to study in their later years keep their minds, fingers, and breathing active, and may enjoy the social benefits of joining various ensembles.
Our students have
participated in All-County, All-District, and All-State bands and orchestras,
attended the North Carolina Governor's School as band or orchestra members,
been first-chair players at Cannon Music Camp and Interlochen Arts Academy summer programs
Students pursuing their interest in music studies have attended the
North Carolina School of the Arts,
Eastman School of Music
Cleveland Institute of Music
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Southern California
Louisiana State University
James Madison University
earning Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral Degrees in subjects including Instrumental Performance, Musicology, and Music Theory
Our fee is
$20 per hour half-hour,
$30 for 45 minutes, and
$40 for a full hour.
Fees are payable by the week or by the month.
Although we do not maintain a "term" system, regular, consistent study is the most beneficial for you, and we hope that will be your approach and commitment. We do take breaks throughout the year, and are flexible to accommodate students' and their families' needs also.
Jon and Linda Julian are based in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Our Preparation & Training
- Undergraduate degrees in Clarinet,
North Carolina School of the Arts
- Classroom: U S Navy Shipboard Instructor School; Battalion Training Management System Classroom Teaching Course
- Conducting: Georgia State University;
U S Army Advanced Non-Commisioned Officer Course
- Graduate degrees in Chamber Music with emphasis in Clarinet (Linda) and Bassoon (Jon),
North Carolina School of the Arts
- Robert Listokin (NCSA) - Jon and Linda
- Detalmo Cornetti (Maggio Musicale Fiorentino) - Jon
- Anthony Gigliotti (Philadelphia Orchestra) - Linda
- Ignatius Gennusa (Baltimore Symphony Orchestra) - Linda
- Mark Popkin (NCSA) - Jon
- Karl Nitchie (Atlanta Symphony) - Jon
- Numerous Master Classes
Our Teaching Experiences
- Separk Music - high school and college years (Jon), some college years (Linda)
- U S Army Element, U S Navy School of Music - Clarinet Instructor (Linda) - lowest attrition rate of any teacher; Remedial Rhythm Instructor (supplemental instruction for students having difficulties) (Jon).
- Beginning Woodwind Class, First Baptist Atlanta (Jon and Linda)
- Individual lessons - DeKalb County Magnet School for the Arts (Jon and Linda)
- Individual lessons - Woodward Academy (Atlanta) - (Jon and Linda)
- Clinician, Department of Defense Schools Regional Music Festival, Izmir, Turkey (Linda)
- Clinicians, DOD Schools Regional Music Festivals, Cosimo, Sicily; Madrid, Spain (Jon and Linda)
- North Carolina School of the Arts Community Music School (Jon and Linda)
- NCSA Musica Piccola and Summer Sessions (Jon and Linda)
- Salem College Community Music School (Jon and Linda)
- Wake Forest University (Jon and Linda)
- Salem College and Academy (Jon and Linda)
- Greensboro Music Academy (Linda)
- Catawba College (Jon)
- Guilford College (Linda)
- Jackson's Music Store (Jon and Linda)